Thursday, February 07, 2008

Shaq moves to Phoenix


It's been a while since I have posted anything, but it doesn't look like many people read my blog anyway :o)

I read a rumour recently that said that the Phoenix Suns were looking to trade for Shaquille O'Neal, due to the fact that the Los Angeles Lakers had recently acquired Pau Gasol. I know that the Miami Heat have had an appalling season so far, but didn't think that anything would ever come of it.

So you can imagine my surprise when I read on cnn.com this morning that it was a done deal!! Holy Crap!

Let me give you some history on the subject.

I love basketball.

I started playing back in the mid 1990s back in Glasgow, and used to play at any opportunity that I got. The last time I played back in the UK was in the fall of 2000. While going for a 3 point shot (they were falling for me that night), one the guys on the other team fell into me, and I ended up tearing some ligaments in my right foot and getting myself back on crutches again.

I moved to the US less than 3 months later, and used to play over here too.

Hmmm - maybe I am digressing here!

Why Shaq?

Well, my only knowledge of the NBA before I moved here was playing NBA games on my PlayStation! The only name that I can remember was "Scottie Pippen", as I could do the most with him. When I moved here, the Lakers were the team to beat. They had the biggest guy in the game - Shaq, and a brash new superstar - Kobe Bryant. Since they were the team that all people at work loved to hate - I started rooting for the Lakers.

After Kobe's (alleged) run in with a young hotel employee in his hotel room, Shaq was traded to Miami. I've always liked the way that Shaq handled himself during that time - Kobe was a big disappointment. So I switched my allegiance to Miami.

The first year they didn't do so well, and my friends at work laughed at me repeatedly. The next year? NBA CHAMPIONS!!! Oh yeah - my time (and Shaq's) had come!

That hasn't been repeated - but nevertheless, I still like Shaq, and also learned about a new star in the NBA - Dwayne Wade, aka Flash.

Now that Shaq has moved to Phoenix, what will I do?

Well, in the East, I will still support Miami. Despite Pat Riley's changes, they still have a good team, and watching D-Wade is always worth it. Adding to that equation is Shawn Marion - who was part of the trade - he will help strengthen Miami's chances next year.

In the West, I always liked the Suns. Their fast paced style of of offense, lead by Steve Nash and Amare Stoudamire is worth watching - at any time. The addition of my favourite player (Shaq), just means that I will watch them more!

The addition of Shaq to the roster is not just his presence on the court. It is also his presence in the locker room - and the chemistry that he can bring to a team.

Now for those doubters, cast your mind back to the All Star game last year - and his "dance-off" with Lebron James and Josh Howard. If you can't remember it - well let me refresh your memory!:



Any way you look at it - I am a fan of Shaq - and despite my sorrow at the Shaq - D-Wade partnership being broken - I must admit that I am excited to see what he can do at the Suns. Only time will tell!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home