Friday, December 30, 2005

The Island (and Ong Bak) and more!

I went to Blockbuster this week - the first time in many months. Not feeling up to going out to the theatre, I decided to rent a couple of movies. My first choice was "Ong Bak - The Thai Warrior" (which I shall review later in this post), but my second choice was "The Island" starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson.






From the official website:

"Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson lead an all-star cast as residents of an isolated, high-tech compound. But when they discover that they are acutally clones, and worth more dead than alive, they stage a daring escape. Battling an unfamiliar environment and an armed team of mercenaries in hot pursuit, they'll risk their lives and freedom to save those they left behind - and reveal the truth about 'The Island'"

This movie tanked at the box office. As a matter of fact, DreamWorks film execs Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald (a husband and wife team) wrote on their website that it was because of Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson that the movie collapsed so quickly. This from a pair of producers who visited the set only three times during the movie shoot and were basically uncontactable just before it was about to open.

Despite all of the negative press, I still wanted to see this movie. Michael Bay generally makes good action movies, and I am fans of both Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. So what did I think?

This movie was GREAT!!! I have no idea what people were expecting, but I thought that the plot was good, and that the supporting cast was outstanding. Steve Buscemi was awesome, as was Dijimon Honsou. Ethan Phillips (Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager) had another good role, as did Sean Bean as the sinister administrator of the medical facility.

It also covered a subject that has been in the public eye of late - cloning. In this movie, clones were being created for spare parts. The issue here was that the customers were told that the clones were never conscious, and were basically vegetative all their (short) lives. In actual fact, the clones were very much conscious, and were told that they were survivors of a war that had more or less wiped out mankind. There were "lucky" ones who won a lottery, and were sent to "The Island", the last paradise known to man. Those "lucky" ones were then taken to a hospital above their secret location where they were butchered for parts.

Slight deviation from the movie!
There has been a lot of controversy recently, over the use of stem cells, and people's religious beliefs as to when life actually begins. From my side, I support the usage of stem cells to help cure debilitating diseases like Parkinsons and cancer. Cloning of a human being though - that's just wrong. While we're on the subject, those people who object to abortion - please make your way to the closest orphanage to you, and adopt at least 3 of the children there. Then come back and see if you can talk that garbage. The idea of men deciding whether or not a woman has the right to choose if she wants to have a child is ludicrous. It's like the pharmcists who refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control, as they feel that it is against their religious beliefs. I think that the law correctly states that if you cannot do it, then you must pass them on to another member of staff who can, or refer them to a pharmacy that can fill that prescription. If you cannot do that, then you are merely (and incorrectly) attempting to push your religious beliefs on other people - and that just isn't right!

Back to the movie!

The movie is fast paced, funny at times, and completely enjoyable. I would give it **** out of 5!

Now, onto the second movie that I saw - "Ong Bak - The Thai Warrior"


This movie stars Tony Jaa as a young disciple of "Muy Thai", the Thai martial art form, who goes to Bangkok to retrieve the stolen head of Ong-Bak, their village idol. It features some amazing fight scenes, and jaw dropping acrobatics. While the story and plot are pretty run of the mill, the action is well choreographed, and Tony Jaa excels at what he does - kicking ass!

If you would like to watch a well planned action movie, then this is the one for you!.

I would give this **** out of 5


Now, that was all that I had planned on reviewing, but as I was typing this, one of my favourite movies came on - "Shaun of the Dead".

This movie stars Simon Pegg as Shaun, the unlikely hero of this movie. One night, after breaking up with his girfriend Liz (played by the delectable Kate Ashfield), he gets drunk with his best mate Ed (played by real life best mate Nick Frost), and goes home. When he wakes up the next morning, most people have been turned into zombies. He goes to rescue his mother and his (now ex) girfriend, with some priceless moments of comedy in between.

The term horror-comedy is not used that much, but it is very apt here! While this does contain a lot of British humour, it is still enjoyable by any standards. Consider this - George A Romero, creator of classic zombie movies, was so impressed with Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's (director) work that he asked them to cameo in "Land of the Dead" the fourth part of his zombie series, released this year!

My rating = ***** out of 5!!!!

Well, I guess I should stop here. It's now 12:19 am on Saturday December 31st, 2005. I need to go and get some sleep, since I will most probably get next to none tonight. I like to end with a song (don't worry, I am not going to sing!) How about Angels by Robbie Williams?

I sit and wait
Does an angel contemplate my fate
And do they know
The places where we go
When we're grey and old
'Cause I've been told
That salvation lets their wings unfold
So when I'm lying in my bed
Thoughts running through my head
And I feel that love is dead
I'm loving angels instead

Chorus
And through it all she offers me protection
A lot of love and affection
Whether I'm right or wrong
And down the waterfall
Wherever it may take me
I know that life won't break me
When I come to call, she won't forsake me
I'm loving angels instead

When I'm feeling weak
And my pain walks down a one way street
I look above
And I know I'll always be blessed with love
And as the feeling grows
She breathes flesh to my bones
And when love is dead
I'm loving angels instead

Chorus
And through it all she offers me protection
A lot of love and affection
Whether I'm right or wrong
And down the waterfall
Wherever it may take me
I know that life won't break me
When I come to call, she won't forsake me
I'm loving angels instead

Repeat chorus

Good night all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home